Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Chicago Testimonies, Part 2: Sydnei, Kylie, Kara, Myles, Blake K.

When I came to Chicago I cam to make a change for not only myself, but for Chicago. I really found God this week, not only in preaching, but in people I never thought possible. I spent every day at Casa Central, and I really made a bond with a girl named Janise. She’s the most amazing kid ever. She gave me hope, to never give up. When I had to leave, and told her I was never coming back, I started crying harder than ever. I realized God was telling me that was my path. I may never be able to change the whole world as spreading God’s word, but I’m sure going to try my hardest. As I leave Chicago, I’m leaving a huge piece of my heart not only to everyone I helped, but to Chicago itself. I’ve learned more this week than my whole life following Christ, and I’m never going to forget this trip. And I thank God for giving me this chance to learn from Him.
-Sydnei Lemmons

The main reason I loved the mission trip this year is because I love a challenge. There is no better feeling to me than getting my hands dirty, digging into a situation that I’m passionate about, and stripping away all of my “uncomfortable feelings” or “boundary zones.” Even being in situations that need Jesus so much, I can’t help but to love Him even more. Last year in my mission trip to Birmingham I took away a fire lit in me to shine Jesus’ light to the world. This year I feel like I used that fire to challenge myself to shine Jesus’ love the best I can and trying to strengthen my relationship with Him. While playing tag with kindergarteners, feeding the homeless, losing bingo with senior citizens who spoke little English, building friendships, and even being a part of a chicken riot, Jesus helped open my eyes to what needs to be done in this world. He helped me break previous stereotypes and humble me, gave me a huge reality check and too many blessings to count. However, the thing that I realized the most this week is how active God is in my life. He loves me and all these people in Chicago and everywhere in the world. Every aspect of my life is touched by Jesus and I know He is actively working in my life.
-Kylie Goodier

To put everything I took out of this week in one perspective, my own, when so many more are involved is hard – I don’t know where to start. Do I start with the love of the kids? The hope of those on the street? The acceptance of the community? Or the realization that our week of help did benefit some, but it’s not enough? We could stay the entire summer and not do enough. Plan A never works, as I very well learned this week. But through our changed plans, I learned to see the impact and influence of God’s work, through us, in the what appears to be small situations and know that I cannot see the full effect of His work. The enthusiasm and joy on the children’s faces when they saw us for the second time reminded me of how I should view Jesus every time I see Him. “Everywhere you go, I go,” so said one child to me. Everywhere I go, Jesus comes – He will never leave me alone. And just how I carried kids as they tired, God carries me as I live, showing unconditional love. Faith, hope, and love were three outstanding themes this week – 1 Cor. 13:13.
-Kara Goodier

The trip to Chicago was amazing to me. It was a huge life-changing experience for me. I loved working with the kids and cleaning up WE CAN. Becca was a great leader. This was probably my most serious I have ever taken a mission trip. My relationship with God grew so much and it’s on a very big high right now. Overall this was a great experience for me and others.
-Myles Edwards

This week has been an amazing, eye-opening experience. Last year was great, but this year absolutely changed me. I definitely didn’t really expect much out of this mission trip based on stories I’d heard saying that the 1st mission trip is always the best. This mission trip helped me be more compassionate and sympathetic to homeless people, since I got to be “homeless” for a night, which was not easy to do. I’m definitely going to be looking for opportunities in Cape to continue the work only made possible through God that began here in Chicago.
-Blake Kidd

No comments: