Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Birmingham, Day Two

Well, I've finally made it to a point where I can blog - but only for a little bit...I wasted much of my time uploading photos...so check out our flickr site...I've uploaded as many as possible over an hour and a half of VERY slow connection.
Our teams are all doing fantastic - and I promise that even if I have to blog after I get home, I will share with you some great stories...but let me give you a few updates about what's been going on:

Team Sweet Tea - JT, Morghan, Taylor, Larissa
They have people from the other church in their group as well - they spent the last two days in Kids Club working with underprivileged children. They've had a great time, but because there were alot of kids, they had a hard time connecting with them...but the second day was better. In fact, I think Larissa may have a new boyfriend. Unfortunately, he's six.

Team Botanical Gardens - Vicky, Hollie, Riley, Grayson, Ashley
They also have kids from the other youth group in their group with them. They have spent time at a nursing home visiting with residents and have also spent time cleaning the building we are utilizing for shelter and spent all afternoon today working in a homeless shelter type facility cleaning rooms. Riley and Hollie met Norma, one of the nursing home residents and became quick friends - and their whole team wrote Norma a card and signed it before leaving.
Ashley and Grayson had a great time tutoring kids...

Team Vulcan - Danny, Austin, Ryan, Garrett, Cody
These guys have spent a lot of time in nursing homes and have also gotten to go to Kids Club. Ryan met a lady that told him that she had experienced both heaven and hell...neat story...you'll have to ask him about it. When the boys were leaving, they had a woman tell them that she loved them...Ryan shared with us that this is the first time he's ever had an adult tell him that they love him...REALLY, Ron???
Garrett and Cody had a great time playing Bingo...and also played Wii with and made a great connection with a man named "Tiny". Oddly enough, Tiny weighs somewhere near 600 pounds...
Austin has had a phenomenal time playing with kids - he's really good at it too:-) He's so funny - I'm sure they were totally entertained with him around.

Team 16th Street Baptist - Steve, Easy, Caleb, Jared, Matt, Chylie, Dallas, Alle
These folks have been bustin' it - they've painted the outside trim on a house...and have worked really hard in some extreme heat. The heat index today was 107!!!

OK - they are telling me I have to leave now...so since I've already shared some about my team (Team Kelly Ingram Park - me, Tammy, Sarah, Rachel, Alex, Meredith and Kelsi) I'll skip more info on them today.

Check out our pics though, and I will do my best to blog more tomorrow...

1 comment:

PastorRon said...

The heat is getting to Ryan. I know of at least two adults who've told him they love him. But since he seems unsure, tell him we have ways of making sure he never forgets (like yelling it at the next basketball game he plays in or saying it in a sermon, etc.).
Thanks for the updates! You all are doing awesome work!